News Release September 13, 2012 GS Yuasa Corporation
～ Full-fledged deployment of large-scale lithium-ion storage battery systems for electricity storage ～
GS Yuasa Corporation (Tokyo Stock Exchange: 6674) announced today that East Japan Railway Company ("JR East") has installed a 240kWh-capacity lithium-ion storage battery system (approximately 12.6 kWh x 19 battery units) at Hiraizumi Station on the Tohoku Line. The station is a model for JR East's "ecoste" (Environment Earth Conscious Station of East Japan Railway Company) initiative aimed at powering train stations through renewable energy with zero emissions.
In the electric power supply system at Hiraizumi Station, which was installed by Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (Tokyo Stock Exchange: 6503), JR East is aiming to supply all the station's power on sunny days, including nighttime power needs, from solar power generation. The lithium-ion storage battery system enables JR East to store excess power generated by the solar panels and supply the power during nighttime hours and inclement weather, maximizing the effective usage of renewable energy.
The installed lithium-ion storage battery system comprises 114 modules configured in series and parallel. The configuration of multiple LIM50E modules both in series and parallel enables simple customization consistent with the customer's voltage and capacity needs. The LIM50E module was developed specifically for smart grids and electric power storage.
GS Yuasa is promoting storage battery systems to meet a wide range of needs, from small to large-scale power systems. The GS Yuasa Group will continue to contribute to reducing the burden on the environment through the promotion of systems utilizing storage batteries.
Installed Lithium-ion Storage Battery System Specifications
|Module model||LIM50E -12G|
|Battery cells||1,368 cells (6 modules connected in series, 19 modules connected in parallel)|
|Dimensions (mm)||6800x900x1900 (WxDxH; including control panel)|
|Weight (kg)||Approximately 6,400 (including control panel)|
Features of Large-scale Lithium-ion Storage Battery System for Storing Electric Power
- １． The configuration of multiple modules in series and parallel enables simple customization of voltage and capacity for the design of large-scale storage systems.
- ２． Each unit can be controlled independently, enabling maintenance without the suspension of system operation.
- ３． A standard battery monitoring device provides constant monitoring of each cell's voltage and module temperature, with data output to the charger and the system.
- ４． There is virtually no variance in battery cell performance or impedance between units, which ensures optimal storage battery system performance.
- LIM50E -12G lithium-ion battery module
- Lithium-ion storage battery system installed at Hiraizumi Station
|View PDF Version|
For additional information, please contact:
GS Yuasa Lithium Power, Inc
1150 Northmeadow PKWY Suite 118 Roswell, GA 30076 USA 888.GSYUASA (888.479.8272) 678.892.7501 (fax) email@example.com